Hey everyone! I’m here to explain what our current project is, hopefully in an entertaining and enlightening way that will make you pump your fist in the air with uncontrollable joy.
Figure 1-1: As you can clearly see, your town is under attack by bad dudes being mind controlled by an evil genius.
Bardbarian is a mobile game we’re developing for iOS and Android. You play as Brad the Barbarian, woken up from his sleep to the sounds of his town under siege. Tired of always fighting, Brad decides he wants nothing to do with being a Barbarian anymore, and in a last minute decision, grabs an instrument instead of a weapon. Using his totally sweet axe-lute he sets out to be the bard he always dreamed to be.
The gameplay is best described as a combination of the classic game snake with a fantasy RPG twist and some basic RTS elements. Avoid enemies and their weapons, save up your music notes to summon and inspire the townsfolk to fight for you, defend your town and survive the waves of incoming enemies, upgrade and level up your units to punish enemies like never before.
- 1a) Touch anywhere on the screen for a virtual joystick, this is used to control Brad (1b)
- 2a) Be wary of the hordes of enemies looking to harm you or your town! Many of them have long range attacks that can do serious damage to you or your party (2b)
- 3) This is your mini-map, it shows the location of you, your town center, and the enemies currently in your town! Use it to plan your attacks wisely
- 4a) This is your in-game resource “music notes” they will automatically generate as you survive and play your music. Music notes are the currency used to summon units (5a) and inspire them with solos! (5b)
- 4b) GOLD! As you vanquish enemies and save your town, you will be rewarded with gold dropped from their dying clutches! Collect it before it disappears and use it to upgrade yourself, your town, and your units.
- 5a) These are the units you have selected for your loadout, a maximum of 5 units can be assigned to your loadout, you are able to switch them in the shop/loadout screen.
- 5b) SOLOS! These are expensive but valuable strategic songs you can play to inspire your current party, Attack, Defense and Speed boosts will drain most of your music notes, but can provide valuable support in battles.
- 5c) When you summon units, they will exit from a random house within your town, use this notification to locate and add them to your party! (5d) Don’t leave them alone for too long or they will be killed by enemies.
Figure 1-2: Who cares if your town is being destroyed, and you could kill the enemies with one swing of your weapon? You get to play totally sweet music and make those silly villagers save themselves.
Hopefully this explains the basics of what Bardbarian is about, we look forward to creating this game and hopefully getting some of you excited about what we’re up to! Stay tuned for more, we will be posting updates regularly.
Thanks for reading, unless you didn’t read this far.